Thursday, September 9, 2010
Land of the freedom of no speech
A few days ago in government class an interesting topic came into discussion. Flag burning: should it be illegal or not? Although I am from America I am not patriotic whatsoever. I find many things America does hypocritical and stupid. Like for instance everyday in school grades K through 12 have to do the pledge of allegiance but yet we frown upon Hitler for "Brainwashing" students by having them say "Hail Hitler" every morning. Its practically the same thing. Anyways in government we got into a bit of a debate over this flag topic. The class against me. Now most of the class said that it should be illegal because its disrespecting our country. I even had one girl tell me "If you don't like our country then leave." But my argument was that The 1st amendment is the freedom of speech and if they say we cant burn the flag in protest then its taking away our rights. Now this all blew over but a few days later a new topic came up. A church in Florida is discussing burning the Quran (Muslim bible) on 9/11 in protest. What I want to know is how can these people be so anal. It wasn't every person in Iraq who sent airplanes into the twin towers, it was a terrorist organization called Qaeda. How does this relate to flag burning? Well think about it. We get offended if our flag is burned and would be if the bible is burned, but then we go and burn something that means just as much to them? Once again America (of course not all Americans) is being hypocritical!!! Plus when you burn something religious like that your not only offending the Muslims in Iraq but there are Muslims here to!!! Now I believe this church has the right to burn what they please, if I didnt I'd be the hypocrite. But thse people should think before they burn. This is why I wish I lived in Canada...they never seem to have many problems with other countries!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment